Building my computer

Whitty21

Apr 15, 2010
Small town, ON, Canada
Well, decided its time i build my own computer, sick of dealing with store but, pre-loaded, underpowered POS's lol

so i am here is what i got ordered, should be here in a few days

Power supply
1 x ($69.99) PSU RAIDMAX | RX-700AC 700W RT $69.99

1 TB HDD
1 x ($64.99) HD 1T|ST SATA6.0 32M ST31000524AS % - OEM $64.99

Wireless card
1 x ($14.99) WL ADAPTER ROSEWILL|RNX-EasyN1 RTL $14.99

windows 7
1 x ($109.99) MS WIN 7 HOME SP1 64BIT 1PK - OEM - OEM $109.99

8gb's of ram
1 x ($53.99) MEM 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL $53.99

Case Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 BLUE RC-922M-KWN2-GP Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Side window
1 x ($99.99) CASE CM| RC-922M-KWN2-GP RT $99.99

dvd burner drive
1 x ($19.99) DVD BURN LG | GH22NS70 OEM - OEM $19.99

Motherboard- 2 pci slots
1 x ($169.99) MB ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 R $169.99

processor
1 x ($129.99) CPU AMD|PH II X4 965 3.4G AM3 RT $129.99

hdmi cable
1 x ($5.99) CBL RW HDMI M/M BK 6FT R $5.99

videocard- 1gb 256bit ddr5
1 x ($169.99) VGA XFX|HD-685X-ZNDC HD6850 1GB R $169.99

Moniter DELL Dell - ST2420L 24" Full HD Widescreen Monitor with LED : Computer Accessories and PC Components | Dell Canada

I would recommend buying a second hard drive, one for daily use, then another for backup, so if it crashes, you can then use the other to re'import anything you lost....

Glad you are gonna be doing this type of build. Make sure you have enough cooling tho, and keeep them clean (free of dust), keep a CPU temp gauge on your desktop...

Sounds like you got a plan, are you gonna be liquid cooling this sucker? I decided I didnt want to, cause im not an extreme gamer or anything...just look up parts, facebook, and youtube.

only thing I see that I don't like is the AMD processor....

im a Intel guy... hope it turns out well for you

only thing I see that I don't like is the AMD processor....

im a Intel guy... hope it turns out well for you

Even tho Intel has been around longer, AMD seems to be alot better. AMD's processors are truly fast and are built to last. Im going on 5 years on my AMD processor, my dads Intel died with 7 years, and over that time, it went downhill....

You can find windows 7 for much cheaper than that.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit 1 Pack - OEM | SuperMediaStore.com

^For example

Good luck on the build. I have a good amount of knowledge for this stuff so if you have any questions hit me up.

yeh, but with shipping it would have been close to the same, this was all bulk shipped so there was no shipping charge on the OS and it is fast shipping

Will this be your first pc build?

yes, but i have repaired many ps3's and am working on a couple xbox's, so i am not totally new to the game

I've an idea where to find it even cheaper ;)

thought about cracking it, then figured i want my OS to be reliable and not shut down

yeh, but with shipping it would have been close to the same, this was all bulk shipped so there was no shipping charge on the OS and it is fast shipping

yes, but i have repaired many ps3's and am working on a couple xbox's, so i am not totally new to the game

thought about cracking it, then figured i want my OS to be reliable and not shut down

When you crack it just be sure to not install windows updates. Not that I would know how to run cracked w7 >_>

i'd invest in a much better power supply; preferably something from antec or corsair in the 800w + range - especially if you ever do decide to SLI or xfire graphix cards. Another good thing to look for in power supplies are the modular ones, so you don't have a spider nest of wires hanging all over the place collecting dust.

i would check out some SSD's or some hybrid SSD-HD's. there expensive now, but they haul ass and would put the 8gb of ram your looking to get worth the purchase imo. most people think hd's don't effect performance - but storage that doesn't require spinning discs almost have no limit or load times - so windows boots up much faster, programs load faster, and searchers are pretty much instant.

i run all my stuff in antec's so my opinion on cases may be a little bias. my man rig runs in the Newegg.ca - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case. great case for what you pay for, and comes with more fans than you actually need. from my experience coolmaster doesn't make the best quality stuff..

unless you plan on burning and watching a sh*t ton of dvd's you can save a ton of money buy getting a liteon dvd burner...

lastley the CPU - also something you should make a good investment out. best bang for your buck is AMD for sure. I run AMD in a lot of my builds i game on. For my workstation i run Intel. i guess its just budget and preference for what your doing. If you like AMD i would take advantage of the phenom II x6's - that's 2 more cores running for maybe 10-50 more bucks than the one your looking to get.

i build and play on computers all day aside from my full time job. any questions feel free to ask :D

thought about 6-core, but i dont really need it, upgrades are possible but not likely for a while, more or less using it to run cad programs and some other graphics software, and maybe some gaming, nothing hardcore though, ssd is in the cards for the future

thought about 6-core, but i dont really need it, upgrades are possible but not likely for a while, more or less using it to run cad programs and some other graphics software, and maybe some gaming, nothing hardcore though, ssd is in the cards for the future

If you are using Cadd, I wouldnt deff recommend getting the 6 core like tertal said, you will end up saving alot if you ever decide to upgrade again...just sayin.