Blaster not starting

tiaancloete16

Jul 27, 2024
Hi i need some help. I recently bought a 98 blaster from someone test drove fine got it back and drove it around the property for a bit and then all of the sudden it started bogging and just died i changed the spark plug and cleaned the carb but it still does not want to start

Welcome aboard.

We need to figure out what it's lacking to run.

You said you cleaned the carb, have you verified fuel is getting to the carb? Pull the fuel line from the carb and turn the fuel valve on and make sure you have good fuel flow from the tank. Then reinstall the fuel line to the carb and let the carb fill for a minute or two. Loosen the drain on the bottom of the carb and make sure fuel starts to leak out. This won't tell you if you have enough fuel on the carb bowl, but it will tell you that fuel is at least making it to the carb.

Have you checked for a healthy spark? My daughter's Blaster kept doing about the same thing recently. Would run great for a few minutes and then die out. Turned out we had a failing ignition coil so I replaced the coil with a Ricks coil and spark plug wire. It's been running strong ever since.

Lastly is compression.... Although I don't think it's likely to be your issue. You will need a compression tester to check compression.

Being that it ran fine and then all of the sudden quit, I wouldn't really suspect a carb/fuel issue other than debris in the fuel tank causing restricted or no fuel flow to the carb.

I would check for healthy spark using a fresh sparkplug first.

Welcome aboard.

You said you cleaned the carb, have you verified fuel is getting to the carb? Pull the fuel line from the carb and turn the fuel valve on and make sure you have good fuel flow from the tank. Then reinstall the fuel line to the carb and let the carb fill for a minute or two. Loosen the drain on the bottom of the carb and make sure fuel starts to leak out. This won't tell you if you have enough fuel on the carb bowl, but it will tell you that fuel is at least making it to the carb.

Have you checked for a healthy spark? My daughter's Blaster kept doing about the same thing recently. Would run great for a few minutes and then die out. Turned out we had a failing ignition coil so I replaced the coil with a Ricks coil and spark plug wire. It's been running strong ever since.

Lastly is compression.... Although I don't think it's likely to be your issue. You will need a compression tester to check compression.

Being that it ran fine and then all of the sudden quit, I wouldn't really suspect a carb/fuel issue other than debris in the fuel tank causing restricted or no fuel flow to the carb.

I would check for healthy spark using a fresh sparkplug first

Welcome aboard.

I would check for healthy spark using a fresh sparkplug first.
I checked the carb is getting fuel and i changed the spark plug twice as wel ass a new coil but stil no luck

Next thing I would check for is a sheared flywheel key. If the flywheel key sheared the flywheel can shift out of position for proper ignition timing resulting in a poor running engine if it runs at all

So i ended up taking it to a yamaha dealer and it turns out the stator needed to be rewinded
Do you mind my asking how much did that cost? I have been beating my head against the wall with a similar issue. My 2002 blaster ran great for 3 months, then bogged down and wouldn't start when I was about 3 miles from the truck. I changed the spark plug, ignition coil, spark plug cap, cdi unit, cleaned the carb, reed valve, etc. It has spark. I don't have a compression tester, but it has some compression. But I have no clue what's wrong with it and all the service shops here are at least 3 months out.....

Do you mind my asking how much did that cost? I have been beating my head against the wall with a similar issue. My 2002 blaster ran great for 3 months, then bogged down and wouldn't start when I was about 3 miles from the truck. I changed the spark plug, ignition coil, spark plug cap, cdi unit, cleaned the carb, reed valve, etc. It has spark. I don't have a compression tester, but it has some compression. But I have no clue what's wrong with it and all the service shops here are at least 3 months out.....
Hi i paid R3000 ($170)for labour and material