Backfiring on deceleration

natej

Jan 3, 2019
Ohio
I recently finished a complete overhaul on a 2002 Blaster (thanks to you guys that answered a bunch of questions). It runs great but I notice some backfiring when I let off the throttle. I believe it has the original reeds but I didn't notice a ton of damage to them when I did the rebuild. I think there is a small leak of exhaust at where the expansion chamber meets the engine, so I plan to straighten that out next, but I was wondering if worn reeds would be more likely to cause this (or some other issue). Any thoughts?

Backfire is normal when deceleration occurs but I have a question as well, I noticed a exhaust leak near the flange as well, I have a 2001 blaster and the flange is flat on the engine, but the one on the exhaust has lips and i think this is a wrong exhaust it is a dg exhaust

Backfire is normal when deceleration occurs but I have a question as well, I noticed a exhaust leak near the flange as well, I have a 2001 blaster and the flange is flat on the engine, but the one on the exhaust has lips and i think this is a wrong exhaust it is a dg exhaust

grind that weld flat on the inside of the flange, ALWAYS use a new exhaust crush washer, they are one time use or will leak, and a thin coat of Permatex High Temp Ultra Copper will help seal it up.

Reactions: piezzi