ATV Titles, registration..whats needed?

redhatman

Apr 20, 2008
Minnesota
pl-designs.tripod.com
Hey guys I am about to pick up a blaster from a guy but he does not have a title or anything for his, just the atv.

I called the DMV and they said atv's dont have titles. What about registration like with the DNR? My current blaster I receieved one for, but is it actually needed?

What precautions can I take to make sure this isnt stolen, and that its legal? I plan on putting insurance on it.

ur gonna have to contact someone for lost title probably..like in pa u can contact harrisburgh i dont know about where u are from..good luck

or take the serial number off of the frame and see if u can find somewhere to run it to see where title is idk just ideas
u gotta have a title in pa to register a atv

I'd try contacting the DMV again and see if you can talk to somebody else with the same question. You might have just ended up with somebody that doesn't have a clue what they were talking about.

This stuff varies greatly from state to state though. In some states, like pennsylvania, atvs have always been sold with titles. In other states they started requiring titles for new atvs more recently, and maybe some still don't require them at all.

simple, take the vin number, call your state and local police, and have them run it.

if you ever want to register an atv with the DMV you will need one of the following three. Title, proof of origin, or a transferable registation. you will also need a bill of sale from the seller, you will have to pay tax on the price thats written on the bill of sale, when you register at DMV. I suggest putting $100-$200 on the bill of sale so you dont have to pay to much tax.
Google this mv-51b its the form you need in NY for a vehicle with no title.

Last edited:
Never heard of registering the atv with the dmv...the dnr handles OHV's (offroad vehicles), I simply went on the dnr website and registerefd using vin #, got my stickers and everything. This is in Wisconsin, like YamaRider stated it varies by state

u cant do sh*t w one in new jersey, cant register, cant insure, and cant ride, but yet i have 3 atv dealerships and 3 atv repair shops within 10 miles of my house, WTF!!!