Any advice

speedemon17

Jun 14, 2010
Ohio
Ok this winter I'm going to start racing at the summit indoor mc track and I need some advice since it will be my first race and all but just tell me all the good stuff

Ride and practice as much as you can before the race. It'll help keep your stamina up so you don't get worn out half way through your race

my buddy's have been to that track in ohio

if i were to start racing, or the few times i've been on a track, i just went my own pace, sometimes turning off to hit a jump over and over again till i got it right.
or i got hooked up with someone who seemed to be riding a little better than i, after i rode with him a few laps and passed him, i'd seek out another faster rider, and ride with him a few, and keep working with riders your pace, till you get faster, then seek out faster riders to try and hang with
my theory has always been, if they can go into that turn, or hit that jump at that speed, so can i
just be sure to watch that they are in fact clearing that jump, before following someone and have the both of you coming up short and casing it bad

if that doesnt work for you, come to the mountain and i'll chase you around, right up your ass for a day
worked for my buddies son on his kx 125, i pushed him around for a full summer and he's winning races now on his kx250f

My 14 year old boy and I run MX, and we find that every track has it own differences and it takes time to learn each one.

Get the bike as wide as the rules permit and a +3, (+ more is OK too) swing arm that will allow you to set the jumps up fine.

Learn one obstacle at a time, get it right then move on to the next.

Do not be pressured into taking chances by the other guys who have got it right.

Take your time, get it right and you will be in front of them in no time.

Perfect the tricks on how to keep the nose of the bike at the right level, if you are nose down on jumps, blip the throttle, that will pick it up.

Nose up, grab the clutch in and hit the back brake to bring it down.

When going into them burms, if they have them, dot the back break,( well thats the way I do it, as I am prone to coming in too fast!) to get the ass out and committ to the corner long before you get there.

It takes guts and determination to do it, but if you are already sideways, others find it hard to go under or around you as you are almost twice the width.

You possibly wont need to use gears 5 or 6 with your 14/40 set up so drop the front sprocket to a 12, and maybe take the rear up a couple. This will give you an extra gear to play with and also give you advantage over the hole shots, as you can get off in second and you get that extra get up and go coming out of corners.

Choose the tyres for the surface, Kendas, and some others, come with the option of rotating the tyre to suit a hard or soft surface.

Bit of extra toe out, and get the camber adjusted to get them tops of the wheels in.

Tyre pressures are very important, experiment and run to what suits your weicht and riding style, I like no more than 4psi in the front and no more than 6 in the rear.

The way the bike rides and handles depends on the shocks you use, if you use stock shocks be prepared for a very difficult ride, they do not work well for MX.

As Awk says if the other guys are getting it right, look and learn, there are no prizes for taking chances, unless you rate a ride in an ambulance a good trade off.

Last edited:
I have no racing experience, just want to wish ya the best of luck Marcus, I think you'll do just fine! BTW- there should be no trees indoors!!!

alot of gas,brake late and hold on in between
seriously the corners are where alot of time can be made....brake late and hard....no coasting .... ya have to think about saving seconds all the time... practice being smooth and speed will come and above all relax and have fun