1/5 scale Baja buggy build up!

Paulie B

Jan 17, 2008
SOMD
This is my new R/C. It's a 1/5 KM Baja- a HPI Baja 5b clone.
I read rave reviews about it and my honest opinion is it has some issues.
The radio antenna pulled in half after the FIRST pull. I had to rebuild the pull start before my first run because it wouldn't engage. The stock 23cc gas 2hp motor runs well but everybody know 2hp ain't cuttin it around here. If you've thought about venturing into the 5th scale world save your money for a real HPI Baja.
With that said who can afford the HPI??? This one is half price. I also happen to have about 15 years experience with these motors an just happen to have spare bore-kits, pistons, jugs, heads, ect laying around haha. Were gonna turn this into a wheeling, tire burning, nitro swilling monster :)
Here's a pic
P1300003.jpg

Video of stock performance
direct link KM Baja stock video by pb_paulie_b - Photobucket

Last edited by a moderator:
K guys I got a bunch of vids for you.
First vid is a 100% stock take off from a stand still.

Second is a take off with jes the alcohol carb and 10% nitro. I really wasn't that impressed with the performance and felt like it should have been more. After a couple runs the stock box style exhaust was gettin REAL hot and the coupler started burning.

Third run is with a DDM Dominator pipe, alcohol carb and 10% nitro.
BIG DIFFERENCE! On the way back the throttle stuck and I hit a chain-link fence at WOT. Amazingly no damage!!!! I made another run and immediately blew out the plastic spur gear.
P1310002.jpg

Stock take off
Stock take off video by pb_paulie_b - Photobucket

Alcohol + 10% nitro, stock pipe
Alcohol carb and stock pipe take off video by pb_paulie_b - Photobucket

Alcohol + 10% nitro and Dominator pipe!
Alcohol + Dominator pipe take off video by pb_paulie_b - Photobucket

Last edited by a moderator:
that is pretty cool. was thinkin about getting one of those in the spring when it got warmer. everyone i talk to tells me to get a Tmaxx (durable and fairly reliable) what do you think Paulie B?

thats sick. it rips in the last vid but thats funny the throttle got stuck wide open. does that happen often to them? those little f*ckers are unbelivably durable. i saw this vid of one jumping a house then drive away after smashing the ground.

that is pretty cool. was thinkin about getting one of those in the spring when it got warmer. everyone i talk to tells me to get a Tmaxx (durable and fairly reliable) what do you think Paulie B?
Well the T-Maxx is a different scale but yeah it's a good R/C. I'm just really a fan of the large stuff.
thats sick. it rips in the last vid but thats funny the throttle got stuck wide open. does that happen often to them? those little f*ckers are unbelivably durable. i saw this vid of one jumping a house then drive away after smashing the ground.
First time it's done that to me lol. After a quick look over it appears the fuel line interfered with the throttle control rod. I'm the one who routed the lines after the carb change so it's my fault. I could not believe I didn't break it on that fence. The lil f*cker must of been goin 50mph!
Point of impact :)
P1310003.jpg

i love the 5th scale buggies, i have been thinking about getting a hpi baja ss but it costs so much.

ohh and custom that 1/8 scale buggy that jumped over the house did drive away but the whole frame was twisted and the suspension, drivetrain and most of the electronics were fu*ked