06 Blaster will not start

TYMOVO

Apr 19, 2017
I just recently bought a 06 Blaster, took the carb apart and cleaned all jets as well as added ffesh fuel and oils. Not 100% sure if it has enough compression has great spark I checked it (The plug is wet after 5 kicks) and put my thumb on plug hole and kicked the started to see if it was pulling in air and it was enough for me to feel but not a HUGE pull. Anyways... tried to kick start and with each kick smoke comes out the exhasut and it backfires every few kicks. The closest i got to getting it to start is with throttle halfway pushed.
I am at a roadblock, help seasoned techs! Lol

Last edited:
Low compression may be the problem, you cannot test compression with your thumb, a piston with hole in it will produce enough puff to blow your thumb off.

Reeds could also be leaky.

If the carb drips fuel it too could have filled the crankcase with oil and fuel which will stop it starting.

So what could I do to eliminate these problems? Top end rebuild and new carb? Also how can I check reeds? I looked inside and ran my fingers across to see if they were cracked ect. Felt and looked fine. Should I start there first by replacing them?

Holding it up to the light you can see there is a small gap in 2 of the reeds (not sure if that would make it so all this though)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    991.8 KB · Views: 181
But looking into the head I can see that particulates of deteriorated air foam from the filter has breached. (In process of cleaning now with gasoline and intake cleaner)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 184
backfires are usually 1 of 2 things...broken reed petal or sheared woodruff key, allowing the flywheel to rotate out of timing.

Yea I posted pics of reeds and they are fine, as I said there is only a slight gap and I mean SLIGHT on 1 set of petals and the other set is flush. Also don't think that would cause it not to start and flood the spark plug and throw white smoke out the tailpipe each kick. All it does is putter and it only wants to attempt to try to start if you hold the throttle open

Last edited:
does it still have the electrical safety tors system on it?
there would be a wire coming out of thumb throttle 1 coming out of clutch perch
and 1 attached to the carb??

Yes it does and they are both connected

if you have good compression
free flowing gas from tank to carb/clean air filter.
pilot jet in carb is 100 percent clean and you can see through it hold it up to a light.
spark/and spark at the right time it should start.
alot of people have had a issue with it and cant start there blasters.
after they delete it fires right up/your choice
i see you researching it lolo_O
i had a pefect good blaster
when i replaced the clutch perch lever/had a harder time starting it and of course would not rev up
so at first i just unplugged the electrical wire at both ends on clutch perch problem solved,then after did the whole delete:)

Took apart the electrical wiring to test some voltage. Turns out it's a bad source coil which is causing the plug to not get adequate spark... Gotta buy a new Stator and install that sh*t now along with a new ignition coil to be sure ignition is 100%

buy a good used OEM STATOR
do not buy a chinese 1 i dont care what site is selling it they are all chin chin.
they are made in china and dont work on the already complicated
yamaha blaster electrical.....
Or if you are handy you could rebuild the stator with OEM coils!:)

Dang well where can I find a reasonably priced used OEM Stator that works?

what did the source coil test on multimeter?
im a little confused on the voltage term
you have to measure the resistance of the coils it is in the manual
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads...ervice-and-owner-manuals-free-download.17325/
View attachment 30372
View attachment 30373

It wasn't giving me a reading period. I downloaded that same manual lol Ignition coil is giving me a solid reading but source coil is dead and the wire looks a bit burned? (Red/Black wire)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    870.5 KB · Views: 133